Things I would like as gifts - A list for my parents

Saturday, November 11, 2006

My Michigan Adventure

So as it turns out going to bed at 3:00am and waking up at 6:30am can actually be fun! I was able to spend last week in Grand Rapids, Michigan, campaigning for the prospective senator Mike Bouchard and hopeful governor Dick Devos. We knocked on doors for hours at a time encouraging people to go out and vote. As soon as the sun went down we headed back to the headquarters and started making phone calls reminding everyone that election day was on tuesday. We did this til about 9:00pm and then we tallied up all our statistics and went out and put up Bouchard, Devos, Land, and Cox signs all over the city. Then we went to bed and started all over again.

Lucky for me, I was able to slip away for awhile and go out and see a bit of Michigan. Turns out, even though it is bitter cold, it's a gorgeous place (minus the lack of mountains). The thing that I thought was the most amazing was the many beautiful churchs they had all over the state. I could have spent an entire week just going around looking at them all.

While in Michigan I was also able to learn a few things about hot tubs, Arthur Vandenberg, and complete and total defeat. Yes, not only did our republican senator lose by 13 points but the wealthy business man Dick Devos lost as well. And then to make matters worse we watched as the democrats took over the house and took many of the republican senators spots throughout the nation. Talk about a kick in the pants. Anyway, it was an awesome experience that I would never take back and I even made some great friends along the way.

Chrissy, Janessa, Allison, Becca, Eric W., Eric H., Jarom, and Lauren were amazing people to work with and Kit and Clint will hopefully be forgiven someday for scaring my mom half to death. Other than that ... I miss Michigan but I'm sure glad to get some sleep at night. Oh and if any of you want to know anything about Proposition 2 ... I know ALL about it!

Brooke Jean

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a blast! I'm jealous of the break you got from school but then again I'm not so jealous of all the homework you've been doing lately to catch back up. Hmmm ... bittersweet!

Anonymous said...

I know what you did that weekend!